Salt and Light
- Did the Holy Spirit speak to you about anything today?
- The major religious groups of Jesus' day each had different approaches to relating to the world. Which approach are you most tempted to adopt? What are the downfalls of each? Is there another way that is described in this passage?
- Sadducees: accommodate into dominant culture
- Pharisees: separate into subculture
- Essenes: isolate from all outside culture
- Write down at least 3 ways that you experience being salt in your world. Also think of 3 more ways that you could be a stronger influence in the world in which you daily live out your faith. Are you making others thirsty for God?
- Considering that the statement “You are the light of the world” is an indicative (statement of being), it requires us to take an active role in smothering our light. What does that say about the need for gathering in community?
- What would it look like to you to be a community on mission?