Fulfilling the Law!
- Did the Holy Spirit speak to you about anything today?
- This passage naturally divides into two parts, vv17–18 and vv19–20. What does each part emphasize?
- In v17, Jesus addresses the silent conclusion of his disciples, based on what he told them in Matthew 5:1–16. In other words, vv1–16 would lead the disciples to think, Jesus means to do away with the Law and the Prophets! Why would the disciples come to this conclusion?
- How do Jesus' comments in Matthew 5:17–20 set up his listeners for what will follow in Matthew 5:21–6:18?
- Are you ever guilty of relaxing the commands of God in your life? Give a general statement of how you/we do this, followed by a specific example. Why is dealing with this tendency important in becoming part of God’s kingdom plan (an apprentice of Jesus)?
- The Pharisees and teachers of the law were zealous about observing the Law. How can our righteousness possibly surpass theirs (v20)?
Read ahead in next week’s text: Matthew 5:21-30