1. Did the Holy Spirit speak to you about anything today?
2. What was the main reason for Jonah’s anger? How is he like the elder brother in the prodigal son story (Luke 15:25-31)? Do you have people in your life that, if you were honest, you want them to pay, or at least not have extraordinary blessings? What does that reveal about your heart?
3. If you are disappointed or upset with God right now, can you cite some reasons why? How might that point to a rival for your heart and who you really worship (something you want more than God)? What questions can you ask yourself to understand whether or not you are dealing with a form of idolatry?
4. Sometimes God has to gradually break some things down in our life to teach us, like he did for Jonah. What things might God be “appointing” in your life to show you your idols or your pride or your unstable thinking (like a fish or a plant or a worm or a wind in Jonah’s life)?
5. Look at Jonah’s correct description of God in v.2. How have you experienced those things from God in your life? How does the overwhelming nature of grace heal you from the rivals for your heart?