1st Peter 2:4-8
Scripture: 1 Peter 2:4-8
Pastor Gary Glover
This is God’s architecture to handle the difficulties of life:
- The foundation stone of life!
- The spiritual house!
- The precious asset!
- Did the Holy Spirit speak to you about anything today?
- Consider three passages of scripture that are quoted in this section: Psalm 118:22-23, Isaiah 8:14-15, Isaiah 28:16. How do these scriptures inform what Peter is saying?
- What are the implications of a cornerstone? How can you really tell what the cornerstone of your life is? What keeps you focused when pressure and demands build up in your life?
- What three things are stated about Jesus as a living stone in verse 4? What do they mean? Why do you think Peter chose a paradox (living/stones) to describe Jesus?
- What two metaphors are used to describe Christians in verse 5? How are we living stones? What implications can we draw? (cf. 1 Corinthians 3:6-9; Philippians 1:3-5)
- What does it mean that we are a “holy priesthood?” In what way are we priests? For what two purposes does a priest exist (see verse 5) ? What sacrifices can we offer that are pleasing to God?
- What is Jesus to those who believe in Him? To those who do not believe? (6-8) Why?