1st Peter 2:18-25
God uses suffering for good.
Section 1: The Situation
Section 2: The Motivation
Section 3: The Foundation
1. What challenged you or encouraged you from the message this week?
2. Read 1 Peter 2:18-25. What do you notice about these verses? In your own words, what are the major ideas in this passage?
3. What are some notable differences between slavery in Greco-Roman world, and slavery in the United States? If someone used this passage to accuse Christians of supporting slavery, what could you say to help better inform their understanding?
4. Read 1 Peter 2:18-20. What is Peter instructing slaves to do? Is their submission based on the behavior of their masters? What is the motivation for submission in these verses?
5. Read 1 Peter 2:21-25. Jesus’ sacrifice and suffering are at the core of these verses. How is His suffering an example for Christians?
6. How did Jesus respond when he was insulted and suffered? (Verse 23) Give an example of what this would look like for modern day believers? How do you respond to insults and suffering for doing good?
7. Read Matthew 5:10, John 15:18-20, and 2 Timothy 3:12-13. What do these verses tell us about Christian suffering? Do you think most Christian expect to suffer for following Christ?
8. What areas of your life have you experienced suffering for doing good?
9. What is one thing God is calling you to do as a result of what you have heard today? By God’s grace, how can you apply this to your life this week?