If we want to see God do things we’ve never seen before in our lives and in our church, then perhaps we need to do something we’ve never done before. So we are asking you to please join us for a church wide prayer and fast, beginning February 16. We will be meeting together at specific times; if you are unable to join us, please fast and pray individually.
Fasting is meant to be disruptive. It is meant for us to experience some discomfort to show our earnestness in prayer, to re-order our desires toward God, and to unleash in a special way the power of God in our lives and in our church.
This is a new journey of discipline for us as a church. For that reason we are committing ourselves to a partial fast, skipping one meal and abstaining from food for several hours during which time we focus on God and pray. Drink plenty of water during this time, and make sure you only fast if your health allows it. But most of all, set your heart intentionally on dependence and devotion to our Lord. There are a host of things you may want to pray for, but we are asking you to focus each day on one specific area first.
Day 1 – Sunday, February 16 – Fast from breakfast until dinner. Join together in the sanctuary after our worship service and pray.
Today’s focus: Build this house!
Read: Psalm 127:1; Habakkuk 3:2; Matthew 16:18; Isaiah 54:2
- That the foundation of Christ would always be what our church is built upon.
- For the plans, systems, and strategies for growth to be God exalting and wise.
- For more laborers, new salvations, fresh ideas, and renewed commitment.
- For each person here to be equipped and passionate for God and this church.
- For every ministry (pray specifically for them) to grow and reach its potential for building the kingdom.
Day 2 – Monday, February 17 – Fast from the previous evening until lunch, skipping breakfast. Join together in the sanctuary at 8 a.m.
Today’s focus: Open doors!
Read: Colossians 4:3; Revelation 3:8; 1 Corinthians 16:9; Isaiah 22:22
- For the right doors of opportunity to be opened in your life, as you witness, and as you serve, and pray for the boldness to go through those doors.
- For every obstacle and adversary that might confront what God wants to do to be unlatched or dashed.
- For the gospel to advance in our neighborhoods, in our city, and through the missionaries we support around the world.
- For God to unlock the hardened hearts of people you know and love (pray specifically).
Day 3 – Tuesday, February 18 – Fast from previous evening until lunch, skipping breakfast. Join together in the sanctuary at 8 a.m.
Today’s focus: The future of Grace!
Read: Romans 8:31-32; Philippians 2:13; Ephesians 1:7-10
- For confidence in God’s provision and his plan for our church, replacing any fear or uncertainty with trust.
- For wisdom for our leaders, a clear vision from God, and unity (especially in our calling of a new pastor) as we move forward.
- For our new associate pastor to be used mightily as well as every minister (all of us) in our church.
- For wisdom with regard to timing and procedure in going to two services.
- For upcoming events like Resurrection Sunday to be opportunities for God’s kingdom to advance.
- For however God would want to use our 4th St. building.
- For ways to reach younger people.
Day 4 – Wednesday, February 19 – Fast from previous evening until lunch, skipping breakfast. Join together in the sanctuary at 8 a.m.
Today’s focus: Intercession for those who are suffering/struggling and those in government leadership!
Read: Ephesians 6:18; 1 Timothy 2:1-4; Romans 8:26; Colossians 3:12
- For our local and national leaders
- For specific provision for those who are struggling with adversity.
- For specific healing for those in our community and in our families.
- For our ability to offer meaningful compassion and help to those in need.
Day 5 – Thursday, February 20 – Fast from lunch through dinner and join with us in the sanctuary for a time of prayer and praise at 7 p.m.
Today’s focus: Worship!
Read: Isaiah 25:1; 1 Chronicles 16:23-31; Hebrews 12:28-29
- To confess your tendency to settle for lesser things in worship.
- To acknowledge the greatness of God as He demonstrates it specifically in your life.
- To recapture a spirit of genuine worship, a personal revival of your whole being, heart, soul, and spirit.
- For worship to be elevated in our church and in our personal lives as our reasonable response to God’s goodness.
Day 6 – Friday, February 21 – On this day, you are on your own. You choose what meal would be best for you to fast and pray.
Today’s focus: Personal breakthrough!
Read: Ephesians 6:12; Isaiah 43:19; 1 Corinthians 10:13; John 8:32
- For God to reveal to you the areas of your heart that He needs to change and for your willingness to submit.
- For breakthrough in our jobs and our side challenges, breakthrough in treatments for illnesses and diseases, and breakthrough for our children when they choose to go a different way.
- For breakthroughs for besetting sins or patterns of behavior or unhelpful habits.
- For a new awareness of your identity in Christ and for the power that God used to conquer death to be daily active in your life.
Day 7 – Saturday, February 22 – On this day, you are on your own again. You choose what meal would be best for you to fast and pray.
Today’s focus: Spiritual hunger and holiness!
Read: Matthew 5:6; Psalm 143:6; John 6:35; Psalm 63:1
- That God would turn every struggle, challenge and suffering in your life into hunger for Him.
- For a fresh outpouring of finding satisfaction in God alone.
- For your appetite for holiness and for the presence of God in your life to grow.
- For joy in the spiritual journey and encouragement from the Holy Spirit and God’s people.